Avocados are more than just guacamole on your Chipotle rice bowl. This green fruit is rich in vitamins, protein, copper, fiber and monounsaturated fats that does the body good. From lowering cholesterol to strengthening eye health to improving digestion, avocados are an amazing food. Here are five healthy ways to embrace this friendly fruit (Yes, avocados are fruit):
- Moisturize Skin. The natural oils in an avocado can penetrate deep into the skin, helping to soften and hydrate dry and flaky patches. Simply spread it across your body, leave on for 10 to 15 minutes, shower or bathe in lukewarm water and pat dry.
- Repair Damaged And Parched Hair. A brilliant spin on this do-it-yourself facial is an avocado, olive oil, and egg hair mask. Sure, it’s pretty sticky, but you won’t regret slathering it on when you end up with super smooth and luminous strands.
- Eye Therapy. Ever noticed bags under your eyes and reached for an expensive cream, only to be disappointed by the results? Next time, look no further than your kitchen. Yes, avocados can rid you of your eye luggage. Simply peel an avocado, remove the pit, and slice one of the halves into quarter-inch crescents. Then lie down and place a few slices under each eye. After about 20 minutes, you’ll be able to skip baggage claim.
- Baby Food. Avocado is a great transitional food for babies at least 4 months old. Not only will your baby love the smooth, velvety texture and the mild flavor, but avocados are also loaded with healthy unsaturated fat.
- Great Snack. Toss chopped avocado on a salad or bowl of soup, serve guacamole as an appetizer or condiment, or try one of these healthy avocado recipes to get more healthy avocado into your diet. Avocados are a healthy way to boost the flavor and texture of your meals.
There are even more beneficial nutrients in avocados than we’ve listed here, but we hope these are enough reasons to look more closely at this healthiest of foods the next time you’re out shopping.